Backtrack Sports Athlete of the week (25 September – 1 October) powered by TomTom: Lebogang Shange Race Walker
Another special week for the athletes with amazing performances. Let’s break it down as we look at the nominees for AOW:
1. Jeromy Jemax Andreas is certainly in superb form with great performances at the Cape Town Marathon 10km and this form is also showing off the road on the Cross-Country course! Andreas took the 10km title at the USSA Championships winning in a time of 30:55.
2. Kesa KéyCey is an athlete that seems to be in form all year round after competing at World Students she hasn’t slowed down finishing 2nd at the SA Cross-Country Championships and now comfortably bagging the victory at the USSA Cross-Country Championships 8km in Kimberley.
3. Rantso B Mokopane like Molotsane is another athlete who came straight from national duty at the World Students Championships and immediately got underway in the Cross-Country competitions at the SA Cross-Country Championships and now at the USSA XC Championships taking victory in closely contested 4km race with his biggest competition coming from the young talent Dais Malebana.
4. Stella Marais is having a fantastic 2017 season and she has cleary broken out into a force to be reckoned with since changing her focus more to the road. Marais is equally as strong on the Cross-Country courses as she finished 2nd at the SA Cross-Country Championships in the 4km and has now followed that performance up with victory in the 4km at the USSA Cross-Country Championships. Marais bagged a total of 3 medals at the SA Cross-Country Championships and has done so again at the USSA Cross-Country Championships with all 3 medals being gold (Women’s 4km, 3 x 2km relay and the 4 x 2km mixed relay.
5. But Athlete of the week goes to Day Walker Shange
for doing what South Africans are accustomed to him doing, which is breaking records! Shange recently broke the SA 10km walk record in China with a blistering time of 39:48. It seems Shange can’t seem to put a foot wrong as every time he steps out he produces something amazing. This performance walked him straight onto the top of the AOW list and a well-deserved walk it was.
Congratulations to all the athletes, we know how much you put your bodies on the line to bring such outstanding performances. Keeping flying the SA flag high!
Photo by Ben Thorne © Copyright
Written by Black Legend